|h. branch howe jr. graduate student research grant. . .|
Call for Applications
The Georgia Ornithological Society offers graduate student research grants of up to $15,000 in support of ornithological research..
Guidelines for Grant Applicants
1) Applicants must be GOS members to apply for the Howe Graduate Student Research Grant.
2)The applicants, during the grant period, must be enrolled graduate students in the State of Georgia.
3) The research must be primarily ornithological and must be conducted under faculty direction.
4) Preference will be given first to research performed in Georgia; second to that performed in the U.S. outside Georgia; third to that performed in the Americas outside the U.S., especially when involving species moving between North and South America; and then to that performed in other parts of the world.
5) The grant will normally be for a period of 12 months. Application for renewal is permitted. The grant will not fund the grantee's salary, tuition, university overhead, or indirect costs.
6) The grant committee** will determine the amount to be granted per applicant. It may award the entire grantable amount to one applicant (unlikely) or apportion varying amounts among several applicants as it deems fit.
7) The applicant should state whether he/she can do the necessary work if the amount granted were less than the amount requested.
8) GOS will not award money from both of its graduate student grant sources (i.e., Howe and Terrell) to an individual applicant within the same calendar year.
9) The typewritten grant application, double spaced, not to exceed 10 pages, should include a description of the research project, literature citations, an itemized budget, a statement of other financial support, and a brief resume of the applicant. Two letters of reference, submitted separately, are also required, one of which should be from the directing faculty member.
10) Three copies of the application and of each letter of reference should be submitted. Photocopies are acceptable.
11) The grant application and the letters of reference shall reach the Research Grant Committee no later than December 31 each year. The grantees shall be selected by February 28, with the concurrence of the GOS Executive Committee.
12) At the end of the grant period, the grantee is required to submit to the Research Grant Committee a brief written summary of research results and grant expenditures. The grantee is encouraged to present research results to the members of GOS at a semiannual meeting and/or to submit a manuscript to the journal of GOS, The Oriole.
GOS Howe Research Grant Committee
** Grant applications will be reviewed and evaluated by a three-person committee (i.e., Howe Grant Committee). The chairperson of this committee shall be appointed by the GOS president. The chairperson shall then appoint two committee members with the concurrence of the president. The committee shall include at least one research scientist. In the event that there is a conflict of interest involving an applicant and a committee member, the committee member shall recuse himself or herself from the review process for that application. If a committee member must be recused, the chairperson or acting chairperson shall recommend a temporary replacement for the president’s concurrence.
H. Branch Howe, Jr.